CH1 – New World Beginnings
Time Frame: 33,000 BCE – 1769 CE
Objectives: At the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the geological and geographical conditions that set the stage for North American history.
- Describe the origin and development of the major Indian cultures of the Americas.
- Explain the developments in Europe and Africa that led to Columbus’s voyage to America.
- Explain the changes and conflicts that occurred when the diverse worlds and peoples of Europe, Africa, and the Americas collided after 1492.
- Describe the Spanish conquest of Mexico and South America, and of the later Spanish colonial expansion into North America.
- Describe the major features of Spain’s New World Empire, including relations with the native Indian populations.