CH2 – The Planting of English America
Time Frame: 1500-1733
Objectives: At the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain why England was slow to enter the colonization race and what factors finally led it to launch colonies in the early seventeenth century.
- Describe the development of the Jamestown colony from its disastrous beginnings to its later prosperity.
- Describe the cultural and social interaction and exchange between English settlers and Indians in Virginia and the effects of the Virginians’ policy of warfare and forced removal on Indians and whites.
- Compare the tobacco-based economic development of Virginia and Maryland with South Carolina’s reliance on large-plantation rice-growing and African slavery based on West Indian models.
- Identify the major similarities and differences among the southern colonies of Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.
- Did Pocahontas Save Captain John Smith?
from Stan Birchfield, Associate Professor, Clemson University
- History of Jamestown
- Iroquois Confederacy
from the Encyclopedia of North American Indians
- Jamestown Interactive
from National Geographic
- Serving Time in Virginia
from After the Fact
- Virtual Jamestown
Jamestown history resources
+ There are no commentsAdd yours