CH6 – The Duel for North America
Time Frame: 1608-1763
Objectives: At the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain what caused the great contest for North America between Britain and France, and why Britain won.
- The French & Indian War Timeline
- Describe France’s colonial settlements and their expansion, and compare New France with Britain’s colonies in North America.
- The First American West: The Ohio River Valley, 1750-1820 (American Memory, Library of Congress)– Describes the area where French settlers convened.
- New France– The backgrounds and jobs of settlers in the French settlements in America.
- Explain how Britain’s colonists became embroiled in the home country’s wars with France.
- The French-Indian War – Britain and France in the The French-Indian War in America– The role of both countries in America and in the war in Europe.
- Describe the colonists’ role in the Seven Years’ War (French and Indian War), and indicate the consequences of the French defeat for Americans.
- Albany Congress– This talks about the Albany Congress that met to discuss protection from Native Americans.
- Indicate how and why the British victory in the Seven Years’ War (French and Indian War) became one of the causes of the American Revolution.
- “Join or Die”– The famous political cartoon by Benjamin Franklin.
- Why Britain attempted to Tax American Colonists – Britain and taxing American Colonists– The aftermath of the French and Indian War.